Wednesday, March 7, 2007

lovers lane?

When Abe was about 22 years old he moved to New Salem, Ill and boarded at Rutledge Tavern.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It was owned by the Rutledge family, specifically James Rutledge who was the father of Ann. Ann was known to be a beutiful, bright girl, with reddish brown hair and blue eyes. She was about 5'3 and weighed in at about 120 pounds. Apparently anyone that knew her liked to be around her. She was about 2 yrs younger than Abraham. According to family and friends he and Ann spent a lot of time together. It dosn't seem like it would be too hard to do that. I mean look at the size of that house. Lincoln lived there for about 6 years. He and his friend decided to live there, not b/c of Ann but b/c it was a young town and it seemed like the ideal place to open a General Store, it turns out it wasnt, but thats a different story I guess. He worked as the postmaster of the town, and eventually gave it all up to learn the trade of surveying land.
But back to Ann. She was engaged to be married to this guy named John, but he went back East to visit with his parents and never returned. Who knows about that guy... I mean leaving a hot dame like Ann to wander the streets of New Salem alone?! Well she and abe become close. Their is mention that Abraham and she were unofficially engaged and would take the plunge after he received his law degree. (Abe was teaching himself law in his spare time).
Ann eventually became very sick in abotu 1835 of what I hear might have been typhoid fever. After she and Abe had their last conversation and he had to go home he was devastated. I couldn't imagine how painful it would be to see your fiance dying in bed, you have to leave them to die, and then you have to continue on with your life! No wonder he became depressed. This was around the time that Abraham Lincoln started to have suicidal tendencies and became even more quiet and thoughtful.
Now just to clear the waters on this topic, this isnt 100% substantiated. This is just hear say, but the people its told by are people that were interacting with Abe and Ann on a daily basis. Was Abes future wife Mary Todd jealous of Ann A.D.? Probably... this is definitely my own opinion... I have this opinion becase Abe is known to have said that he always thought of Ann, after his election as President, Lincoln was visited by an old friend, Isaac Cogdal. Cogdal, who was a quarryman and former New Salem resident, asked Abe if he had fallen in love with Ann. Based on what Cogdal says, Lincoln replied, "It is true - true indeed I did. I loved the woman dearly and soundly: she was a handsome girl - would have made a good loving wife....I did honestly and truly love the girl and think often - often of her now." That might make a wife jealous, especially someone like Mary Todd who was very needy and dependent on Abe.

No comments: